Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Big Plans for THE PIT!

I know it's only July, but I've been compiling my list of possible picks for THE PIT since school ended. I just read one that has definite possibilities. I'll keep you posted on others I've run across during my summer reading.

Big Plans by Bob Shea is just a whole lot of fun and will make a hilarious read aloud. In case you've forgotten, Bob Shea wrote one of last year's PIT favorites, New Socks. The story revolves around the class trouble maker sitting in the corner, already I can relate to this book! As he sits there after writing the proverbial "I will not..." statements, he hatches his BIG PLANS for the world that he intends to take over.

Just like New Socks, Bob Shea is a master of creating a voice for his character. The chick in New Socks is full of self confidence thanks to his new orange socks, and the ornery little boy in BIG PLANS just oozes comic villain personality traits. As he goes through his list of what he will do and how people will react he continually repeats the catch phrase, "I have big plans, big plans I say!" All he needs is the "AHH-HA-HA-HA!" laugh to complete the picture. The kids are going to love him as much as they loved the jelly bean shaped New Socks chick. Shea throws in a new twist in this book, just what every boy with BIG PLANS needs, a side kick. In this case, a mynah bird he meets while climbing a mountain. The bird's catch phrase "I'm in" adds even more laugh out loud to this incredibly fun story.

This book has the illustrations of Lane Smith of Stinky Cheese fame and they more than compliment the strong story line. Smith combines his drawings with collages and even a real photo of the White House when our hero takes over for the president.

I know this book will appeal to all of the students that pass through my library, and I can't wait to share it with them. For more reviews of Big Plans, go here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment