Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Reflections - Nov. 7

What a historic week this has been! A new president-elect, gas prices below $2.00, and a young man from Dublin (Brady Quinn) had his first start as quarterback for my Cleveland Browns (Brady did well, the Browns defense did not).

Here's what else I am pondering tonight:

1) Tonight we had a doctor come to our house. No, that is not a typo; a doctor actually came to our house. My father-in-law, who has been living with us since a surgery in September, just had a chest x-ray yesterday. It showed some fluid in 2 areas of his lungs. At his age, that was enough to concern the doctor and he came to our house to check on Dad as soon as he got the results. Is that not amazing?!!

2) Last year, in my CST (curricular support teacher) role, I really tried to help other teachers with their instruction in their literacy workshops. This year, now that I am back in the classroom full time, I'm not doing as much professional development for others as I have the last 2 years; there just doesn't seem to be the time. So, it was kind of refreshing to be asked to present at our school's teacher workday this week. My topic -- clarifying the components of the Dublin literacy workshop model. I will then be doing a follow-up session next Thursday at a 2 hour late arrival professional development meeting. Facilitating these sessions has been a good way to stretch myself professionally.

3) The end of our elementary trimester is over a week from today. That means that progress reports are coming right after that. I have a lot of grading and organizing to do before then!! It's no wonder that I can't seem to find the time to sit down, read a book, and then blog about it. It feels like forever since I reviewed a book. I have 2 huge stacks patiently waiting to be read, and no time to read or write!! :( Maybe I'll be better after progress reports are done.

4) Mother Reader has proposed a new challenge: "The Comment Challenge: 21 Days to Community". The basic premise is that we each will read and comment on at least 5 blogs per day. I know how much I love reading the comments people leave for Bill and me. It seems like a great way to build community with other bloggers!! I'm definitely going to try to live up to the challenge.

That's all for now. Hope you have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Karen forgot to mention the fact that the kid from Dublin who started for the Cleveland Browns, is one of my former fifth grade students! We don't have any contact, but it's still pretty cool to say I knew him when. Does commenting on your own blog count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen-
    I could just say ditto parts of #2 and #3. I couldn't even find time for posting on Friday but I do have 5 report cards finished!! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like commenting on your own blog counts if you have multiple people writing posts. Otherwise, not so much...

    That is amazing about the doctor coming to your house, Karen. I thought that those days were long gone (though you do see it occasionally on the TV medical dramas).

    ReplyDelete