Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

A Dismayed Teacher

I just read a blog post written by a reading teacher in a middle school. Her school district is requiring her to "teach" a canned reading program to her 7th and 8th graders. I find the concept of this program, as well as its parameters, very dismaying.

I know we don't normally take on controversy here at Literate Lives, but I was so appalled after reading this post that I knew I had to do something. This program contradicts every single belief I have about reading -- the biggest one being that readers should have choice in what they read, and their choices should come from good books, including many current books that are available. We should fill our rooms with wonderful reading choices. And, after you read this post, you have to ask yourself, "How will these children ever become life-long readers?"

This post is beyond sad. So my little protest of this situation is to link our readers to this teacher's post. I hope you take the time to read her post, and maybe even leave a comment for her.

1 comment: