Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Reflection on Looking for Newbery

Well, here is the short summary:

Of the honor books, I had read Dark Emperor, One Crazy Summer, and Turtle in Paradise. They were all excellent reads, and I'm happy for all their authors.

One honor book, I had heard of, but hadn't read. I will be getting my hands on Heart of a Samurai as soon as possible.

But the winner was the one that really threw me for a loop. With all the online conversations and mock Newbery awards that I followed intently, I can honestly say I had never even heard of Moon Over Manifest. Surprises can be good things, though, and I am anxious to get my hands on this book as well. I just put in my Amazon 2-day delivery order tonight! So even though the winner was a total surprise for me, I really look forward to reading it.

One of the best things I read in all the twitter chatter today, was a poem written by Kate Messner, which honors all the authors that wrote books in 2011, whether they won an award or not. When I think of how grateful I am every time I get my hands on a new book that I just love and can't wait to share with my students, this poem really hits the nail on the head.

So, my final thoughts on this day are merely to leave with you Kate's lovely poem . Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That makes me feel so much better. I read your blog all the time for reviews. I feel like you guys have read EVERYTHING! When they announced the winner, I thought, Where have I been? I've never even heard for that! I'm glad I wasn't the only one out of the loop. ;)

    ReplyDelete