Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? - July 23

I didn't get as much read this week - oldest daughter was home on vacation for a week from DC and I was putting last touches on a workshop I'm actually doing today - but what I did read was so amazing, I had to share at least a short post today.


The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine -- Ironically, I had been reading this book when I saw Bill review it on our blog. In my humble opinion, I couldn't agree with him more that this was an amazing book, and one that deserves extra notice next January. This book will be part of my class this year - trying to decide what is the best fit - whole class read aloud or a book club. Really leaning toward whole class -- would be a genre I don't read a lot (historical fiction), and it's a wonderful story I want to share with as many children as possible. The Lions of Little Rock definitely makes the list of my Top 5 favorite books so far in 2012, and that's high praise this year when so many wonderful books have been published.

Floors by Patrick Carman -- Floors was also recommended by my blog partner, Bill, and what a great recommendation it was! The setting is the Whippet Hotel in NYC. This is not just any hotel; this hotel has so many mazes and hidden parts it was sometimes overwhelming to keep track of everything, but always fun and adventurous. I know Bill just picked up the ARC of the book that is the sequel to Floors, so I'm hoping it will tie up some loose ends about the ending of this first book for me. But I think kids will love the zaniness of the Whippet Hotel -- it's like a hotel and amusement park all wrapped together.

Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank -- Just started reading books by Dorothea Benton Frank this summer - why did I wait so long? This is her most recent one with Sullivan's Island as a background. I love her Southern characters. But I do get famished while reading her books because the cooking described within is amazing!  **Note: this was my adult read for the week; not a children's book.

Please join Kellee and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts, who are the cohosts of this wonderful Monday event!  I love finding out what others are reading, and start planning my next week's reading using some of the participants ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! I hope your workshop goes well. I too loved The Lions of Little Rock-so many great books this year! Floors sounds interesting; I saw the other review too. Thanks for your own recommendation. I'll look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Lions of Little Rock. What an amazing book! And Floors cracked me up. Can't wait for the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lions of LIttle Rock! Colby and I discussed it recently. So great.

    Here's a link to the first one: http://sharpread.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/reading-along-i-94-the-lions-of-little-rock-part-1/

    Have you read Hound Dog True? I think the main characters in each of these books could be friends. :) Great books to match up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Lions of Little Rock, one of my favorite reads this year! Glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete