Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

#Nerdlution

I laughed out loud when I read Cathy's #nerdlution post.  I laughed for 2 reasons:
  1.  She was doing exactly what I was -- tying to ignore the enticing peer pressure of our smart friends.
  2. I have been led to push myself and my thinking more times than I can count by ideas Cathy has concocted. :)
But I think Franki, Colby, Katherine, Bill, Chris L, Kristine, and all the others who were in on the #nerdlution thread on Twitter are on to something.  I look at December and I think of all the ways my time will be challenged -- 
  • preparing for the holidays as I write Christmas cards, bake, shop, and wrap 
  • helping my parents through some very difficult medical times, including surgery for both of them,
  • gatherings of friends and family (even though these consume time, they all are blessings)
What I realize is that starting with Thanksgiving and moving through New Year, I mostly spend time taking care of those I love, and often times, neglect myself.  So that's why I'm joining #nerdlution -- by participating and having the energy and support of those other participants, I stand a better chance of making sure I take care of myself as well.

So my 2 #nerdlutions:
 
First, I plan to take care of my physical self each day -- whether that is walking, yoga, water aerobics, getting my hair done, a pedicure, meditating, or simply "legs up the wall" -- a great de-stressor!

Second, I want to take care of my mental self -- I have not been reading as much lately and I know heading into the holidays that might be one of the first things to go when life gets hectic.  I plan to read for at least 45 minutes each day. 

It's a small start in gaining some balance in my life.  I know I am a much better person when I am mentally and physically in shape.  Thanks to all of you for supporting me with these two #nerdlutions !!




5 comments:

  1. Love both of these. Especially that your notion of self care doesn't have to be exercise! Hmmmm. Wondering what is do-able. I have this crazy idea of trying to write a poem a day for fifty days. YIKES- Slicing in March and writing with Mary Lee in April almost killed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    So glad you are joining the fun....and our goals are similar. Since I always enjoy the books you suggest I am glad you will be keeping up with your reading as I will need much direction.

    Let's go!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! The pressure…. you make many GREAT points I am not sure I can resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of these thoughts & continuing to think of you as you help out your parents. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete