Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

First Central Ohio friends - #SOLSC Day 15


I love March, when during the Slice of Life Challenge, I commit to writing on a daily basis. It's fun during 31 days of posts to watch the ebb and flow of my writing. Some days I'll be incredibly pleased with how a post turned out; other days I'll just be glad I posted anything at all. A huge thanks to the gang at Two Writing Teachers for hosting, organizing, and commenting on this ginormous event each year. I appreciate the community of writers you encourage the entire month of March, and all the Tuesdays the rest of the year. Thank you, thank you.

**This March, I plan to connect as many posts as possible to my #OLW for the year - SAVOR.**


When I first moved to Columbus, I had two friends from college who lived here with their husbands, but I really didn't have any other female friends. Tonight I'm thinking about the first two adult friends I made Columbus my new home.

Sue and Terri

Sue and I taught in the same school district. We also had mutual friends from the college we attended.
She introduced me to her sister, Terri, and the three of us got along swimmingly. I eventually began driving out to their side of town, so we could attend aerobics class together (Jackie Sorenson was popular back then). On Saturdays after aerobics, we started going to lunch.

As we got to know each other, we became:

  • "going to dinner and a movie" friends
  • "bar-hopping" friends
  • "attending parties" friends
  • "planning for the trip and then going to Jamaica" friends
Now, we are friends that only get together once a year for lunch during the winter. Several Saturdays ago, we had our annual lunch. It was delightful, no shortage of conversation as we caught up on lives and children.

Which left me wondering - if I savored my time with Sue and Terri as young adults, and still adore our annual get-togethers, then why in the heck are we now just "once a year" friends? I think I need to remedy that!!





2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! It's so hard to make friends as we get older. I love too how you categorized the different stages of your friendship. That's a really cool way to think about it and captures the way our lives change and friendships evolve. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a group of friends that I met in the church singles group when I first moved to Denver. We did tons of stuff together, then they all got married. And we started doing that once a year thing. We always have a terrific time and I always wonder why we don't get together more often.

    ReplyDelete