Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Looking forward to exercise - #SOLSC 3/22/17


I love March, when during the Slice of Life Challenge, I commit to writing on a daily basis. It's fun during 31 days of posts to watch the ebb and flow of my writing. Some days I'll be incredibly pleased with how a post turned out; other days I'll just be glad I posted anything at all. A huge thanks to the gang at Two Writing Teachers for hosting, organizing, and commenting on this ginormous event each year. I appreciate the community of writers you encourage the entire month of March, and all the Tuesdays the rest of the year. Thank you, thank you.

**This March, I plan to connect as many posts as possible to my #OLW for the year - SAVOR.** 

If you've talked to me, or read my blog posts, in the past six months, you know that retirement feels very bittersweet for me. Saying goodbye to educator friends in my district is going to be difficult. I know I am not done with education by a long shot, but there are so many other possibilities out there for me to discover soon.

I realized the enormity of one possibility this evening. I opened my digital calendar to the week after retirement, and started plugging in some exercise/fitness activities I wanted to start doing that very first week:

  • Monday - walking with a friend
  • Tuesday - strength training
  • Wednesday - slow flow yoga class and walking with a friend
  • Thursday - water aerobics and swimming laps
  • Friday - yoga class
  • Saturday - meet with my trainer
Whoa!! I just planned my entire first week of retirement. That seemed crazy. A conversation began in my head.

It's retirement, Karen. It's not about being on a schedule every day like when you were working full time.
But... I now have the capability of working out in the mornings. You know I tend to not exercise in the afternoon or after.
But every day?!! Doesn't that seem a bit excessive to schedule like that in retirement?
Maybe. But if I schedule it now, maybe it will just become a habit; something I do on any given day.

And then I got really excited about this possibility! I got so excited, I went back into that first week of scheduled exercise, and did some editing - I made each item a repeated weekly event. After awhile, I won't need the schedule (I don't think). But I plan on truly savoring those morning workouts each day, beginning May 29!!

6 comments:

  1. Go for it -- I love exercising every day when I can-- especially with friends. It is a great way to connect, laugh, be outside and feel centered. I am excited for you!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that exercise is first on your schedule. Because as educators, we typically put that on the back burner and we need it! I wish we were close, I'd exercise with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! I'm not ready for retirement, but I am absolutely ready for this part. There are some retired ladies at my pool. Their conversations that I overhear when I'm there on days off from school make me look ahead to retirement. They seem so relaxed. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your exercise plan! Keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exercise energizes me and clears my head. I always feel better after I am done and love that I did something great for myself. What a great number of things are ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you shared you hit the repeat button on your calendar I thought you were getting a little bit CRAZY. I love the plan but sleep in a bit - why not start the second week?

    ReplyDelete