Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

"You is strong" - #SOLSC Day 11


I love March, when during the Slice of Life Challenge, I commit to writing on a daily basis. It's fun during 31 days of posts to watch the ebb and flow of my writing. Some days I'll be incredibly pleased with how a post turned out; other days I'll just be glad I posted anything at all. A huge thanks to the gang at Two Writing Teachers for hosting, organizing, and commenting on this ginormous event each year. I appreciate the community of writers you encourage the entire month of March, and all the Tuesdays the rest of the year. Thank you, thank you.

**This March, I plan to connect as many posts as possible to my #OLW for the year - SAVOR.**


"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

This quote from The Help is one of favorite movie quotes. It's a message with importance for so many people. But for me, it brings to mind my trainer, Tami.

Every Saturday morning, I work out with Tami. Through her actions each week, she sends me the above messages, plus one more: "You is strong."

When I first met Tami two and a half years ago, I felt anything but strong. My mom was having health problems, my dad wasn't in great health himself, I was traveling back and forth from my home to my hometown frequently to check on them, I was exhausted (both physically and mentally), and I felt incredibly out of shape.

A month after I started training with Tami, my mom died, and I pretty much fell apart. I got through the holiday season, but January came and I couldn't pull myself out of the deep funk I was in. But no matter how much I didn't want to, on the day I was supposed to see Tami, I got in my car and drove the 25 minutes to get there.

Tami took it easy on me for the month after Mom died. We did core exercises, and some simple arm and leg work. During the hours we were together, I would just burst into tears at random times. But she always kept me working, even if not at an intense level.

Tami gave me one month to grieve, and then one Saturday she said, "I know you're not feeling strong inside right now, but I am going to help you feel strong physically." And she did.

That Saturday, she put me at the leg press machine for the first time, and had me leg press a significant amount of weight. I forgot to cry. I was mesmerized by the piston actions of my legs. In and out. In and out. I could do it, and I felt strong. It raised my heart rate and my temperature which added to the feeling of strength. I cried when she stretched me out that day, but the tears came with a sense of gratitude that she had helped me get what my body so desperately needed.

It's two years later now. I joke with Tami that in our hour together, there are only about 15 minutes I really enjoy. The other 45 are the ones I do because she says it's good for me; not because I want to.

But it must be working. Every week, Tami names another area in which my body is getting stronger.  A month ago, she told me that my workout had so much power in it, it made her want to work out herself for a second time that day. Two weeks ago, she said my leg work was a thing of beauty. Last week, she called me a hard-core athlete.

With two years behind us, I can now say confidently: I AM STRONG.

Thank you, Tami for helping me strengthen my body, which allowed me to strengthen my spirit, my mind, and my heart. I savor our time on Saturdays together.

12 comments:

  1. Your trainer sounds terrific! And it sounds like it feels really, really good to have your body getting stronger! Reading your post makes me want to do something like this! I hope you will send this to Tami to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful slice. I tell my trainer I only enjoy 15 minutes out of the 50 I'm with her. The warm up and the cool down. Sometimes I think our own bodies surprise us with how much they can do. Keep up the hard work at your gym. You've got this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also one of my favorite quotes -- I love how you used it and the strength you are feeling inside and out. Thank you for sharing.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Your trainer is a treasure and together you have grown stronger. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A triumph of spirit and body, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! Your and your trainer are an unstoppable team! Congratulations on all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. It is a tribute not only to your OLW but also to the power of humans working together towards a common goal. With friends who believe in us, anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful slice! It sounds like tami was just the person you needed in your life at that time and still an amazing piece in it today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiring! We all need Tamis in our lives. I'm glad you had her when you really needed it most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you are so inspiring! Way to continue your journey of physical strength even when it is hard. You are one strong lady and I am so thankful for your strength in knowledge and beliefs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me teary (for a lot of reasons). What an amazing journey you've been on, and to hear/see/feel the progress must be wonderful. Our mind/body/spirit aren't always in sync, but when they are, it's hallelujah time! Keep up the hard work! It's obviously paying off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your journey is inspiring in so many ways from the outside to the inside and reverse. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete